First To Fame is a board game based on social media and the gaining of followers that occurs for influencers. The first ideation step left me and my team members brainstorming ideas and concepts for the game. Phoebe and I got to the point where we are just yelling back and forth about styles, game mechanics and processes of the game. In terms of the ideas and background inspiration, the idea branched from our bcm325 DA which both connected to social media/ and of course our interests as I spend the majority of my time on my phone #antisocial
A quick search through the App Store for some inspiration. Stumbling over a game that most certainly took up a big chunk of my time was Kim Kardashian Hollywood. This game’s main concept is to earn starts and jump ratings (just like celebrities in the real world) This game was the best way to describe my idea of our game. I had suggested that we take the ideas and concepts in a way from this and turn them into a tabletop game. Other inspiration came from social media. Why social media? This is the main idea of the game. Without it, the game wouldn’t work. Other ideas of how we could utilise social media floated around but First to Fame held top place when it came to creation
Extensive background research and referring back to some lecture materials is definitely a part of the process I didn’t look far enough into. And although we didn’t realise it till much later, we regret not having a look at the marking criteria to check off things we included in our analysis of our game during the presentation. With a few stats and background knowledge of our theme, we set off to work. Another part of this comes from the question we were asked…. Why roll? and really this had us stomped.. because why not? When reflecting on our presentation we looked into this a bit more. We originally chose this method because we thought it was a good way to incorporate direction and fairness throughout the game.
The presentation/design was one of my main roles throughout the game creation, We really tried to communicate thoroughly throughout the whole process and allow each group member was presenting something of their strengths while also fairly sharing key components of each process point. For me, it was this design practice. This included the slides for the presentation, the name, colour scheme, and page layout.
I decided to take on this role as I felt it connected well with my visual communication major. This was a task I really enjoyed. Doing some research into iPhone layout and colouring, applications etc. when it came to creating the game board. As well as designing the game challenge and scenario cards and coming up with these challenges. ( a few were made by all of us during prototyping.)